[linux] Support for OSes with programs

Michal michalg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 11:33:37 PST 2004

I'm sure you implied it, but I'll just conveniently assume you arn't
being specific to Linux :)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:11:32 -0800, Garrett Cooper
<youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Just wondering what the support's looking like (mostly how recent are

> the available versions) for some of the binary distributions (Slackware,

> Debian Sarge, NOT Redhat, Fedora, or Mandrake though) in terms of supporting

> Gaim, Firefox, Xorg, KDE/Gnome/XFCE, mplayer, and xmms. I'm just having a

> lot of random issues with Gentoo as of late and wanted to see what other

> available options there were other than going back to Windows.

I've got FreeBSD 5.3 running with xorg, gaim, firefox, gnome, mplayer
and xmms just fine. I've installed all of these from the binary
tarballs ('pkg_add -r packagename'), but had to recompile xmms from
the ports to support oggvorbis files. Things are stable and usable.

You can see which packages have been pre-compiled for i386 here:

ftp://ftp6.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/

(If the latest version isn't precompiled, browse thru the
www.freebsd.org/ports/ and it can be compiled from source.)

The only serious technical drawback to FreeBSD is the lack of a "true"
journaling filesystem. You get "softupdates" instead, which hasn't
been a problem for me since I started using it in 2000.

-Michal