[linux] Support for OSes with programs

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 12 12:26:50 PST 2004

My issues were that I:

1) Realized that I was still using devfs and udev was available and becoming more supported (when I last installed Gentoo this fall the devfs part in the faq was still there).
2) My current Reiserfs is doing funky stuff with my root drive and due to possibly poor programming in mplayer, one of my NFS hosts being killed by not unmounted on my local machine (I know; that was my fault >.<), I had to unplug my machine, and lovely things started happening. The issue is that now every time before I recompiled my kernel (since the udev didn't work properly after my last restart), after I would log out of X it would give me what some users term as "hard crashing" or something like that where my ttys would freeze, and ssh'ing into my box was not possible, etc.
3) The portage system as of late has been less than to be desired. I don't know if you've reinstalled Gentoo from Stage 1 or 2 lately, but the 2004.3 profiles have been SERIOUSLY screwed up and I've had to compile binaries of ebuilds, then scp them over from one box to the next, and rerun the emerge. Ideally Gentoo is a wonderful system, but I think that the fact that it's partly too bleeding edge, many ebuild maintainers and users run into issues with software and hardware support and hence the enormity of the Gentoo forums 0_0. The last part is just my opinion though.

-Garrett

PS I had (before my main desktop broke) Gentoo running on 3 systems-1 P4 2.4 ghz, 1 xbox, and 1 P2. I just chose not to "taint" my Celeron by keeping Windows 2k server/FC1 on it just in case I had issues with my Gentoo boxes =).