[linux] Support for OSes with programs

Pavel N. Krivitsky pavel at stat.washington.edu
Tue Dec 14 16:26:02 PST 2004

Hi Garret,

> Just wondering what the support's looking like (mostly how recent

> are the available versions) for some of the binary distributions

> (Slackware, Debian Sarge, NOT Redhat, Fedora, or Mandrake though) in

> terms of supporting Gaim, Firefox, Xorg, KDE/Gnome/XFCE, mplayer, and

> xmms. I'm just having a lot of random issues with Gentoo as of late

> and wanted to see what other available options there were other

> than going back to Windows.

I run Debian, with a mix of testing ("Sarge") for most packages and
unstable ("Sid") for a few for which I actually need the very latest
version. Setting up Debian to install testing by default but use a
package from unstable if explicitly asked requires a little bit editing
configuration files but is very straightforward. (I can send the files,
if you want.) A package management program called "aptitude" is your
friend, since it keeps track of which packages were installed by request
and which as dependencies.

mplayer requires adding another package repository (again, editing
configs a little).

nVidia support requires recompiling the kernel (I think), but that's not
hard (since there is a "package" that downloads and installs the nVidia
sources and modules and a program ("make-kpkg") that builds Debian
packages of a compiled kernel and modules). It might also require
rerunning the xfree86's configuration program.

You can look up package versions in each branch at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages .

I hope this helps,
Pavel