[linux] Kill Exchange!

Aaron Grewell AGrewell at uwb.edu
Mon Dec 20 10:24:33 PST 2004

I don't know of any scripts to do this exactly. I would probably do it
like so:
1) Create a special user account that has rights to all mailboxes
2) Enable IMAP support
3) Write a script that authenticates to each mailbox in turn and
downloads the contents in either mbox or maildir format, as you prefer.
Both Perl and Python should do this without a lot of drama, since there
are loads of e-mail modules on CPAN and Python (as it often does) comes
with the necessary functions out of the box.

A simpler but more labor-intensive approach would be to open all the
mailboxes in Thunderbird or Mozilla Mail, then copy their mail to local
folders. Once that's done you'll have an mbox for each folder the user
had.