[linux] linux DVD episode jukebox

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadf at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 28 13:43:09 PST 2004

The holidays have made my DVD problem worse. It is very
frustrating to me to have lots of episodes on DVD
(Simpsons, Transformers, Rocky+Bullwinkle, etc.) but to
watch a particular one I have to :
1) Find the DVD box and open the awkward trifold container
2) Look on the contents paper (or online) for the proper disc
3) Put disc in, wait 30 seconds for everything to start
4) Watch another minute of commercials, FBI warnings, and
cute-the-first-time-but-now-annoying startup sequences
5) Click through 3-5 levels of menus to get to the episode
(each of which may have a startup sequence)

Now, I haven't really done anything with video on Linux
yet (or on computers, for that matter), so I'm not aware of
what's out there. A quick Google search was all warez as
far as I could tell, and that's not what I'm looking for.

What I'd like is a generic script that reads the menus and
extracts the episode locations and puts each in an appropriately
named file, so I can store all the files and watch them as
I please, but that's probably asking too much.
What I'm thinking will be necessary is a text file to map
meaningless numeric locations to meaningful names.
Anyone heard of a similar project? Or just have some pointers
to command-line tools to rip a DVD into individual episode
files?

By the way, I am aware of the legal issues surrounding DeCSS
and am not worried about it for this personal project. But if
anyone is concerned about giving me advice because of this, I also
have this clearly legal application: My parents got a guy to put
our old silent movies from when we were kids onto DVDs. The only
problem is that they're out of order, so in one "episode" I'm
8, then a newborn, then 12, then 5, and so on. I plan on ripping
these too. There's no CSS, and my parents own the rights.

Thanks,

Joshua Daniel Franklin