[linux] linux DVD episode jukebox

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:52:34 PST 2004

Anytime you watch DVDs on Linux you are using deCSS unless noted
otherwise. It's just because no commercial corporation to my knowledge
supports DVD playback on linux yet or the open source community doesn't want
to use those programs. RealPlayer for Linux might not use deCSS, but I'm not
sure... One thing cool about deCSS is that it is region free in terms of
decoding/encoding to my knowledge, so if you run down to Uwajimaya, rent a
DVD, or just order an international movie, you don't have to worry about
running out of region switching tries or having to use 3rd party programs to
watch international DVDs.
Try vobrip if you want. It's a command line dvd ripping program. After
that you can just play the individual vob files in mplayer/VLC if you wish.
vobrip is fairly linear to figure out, but since I unmerged it I can't
comment on the proper syntax. This is the most consummate website that I
have come across for DVD ripping:
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/single/. The only thing I found
annoying about vobrip is that it ripped my vobs from a Japanese DVD and
combined the vobs with the subtitles instead of making them separate.
-Garrett