[linux] using VPN in Debian

David Fetrow fetrow at apl.washington.edu
Mon Mar 1 12:25:33 PST 2004

It's important to find out which VPN they are talking
about.

There are about a million schemes (Slight exaggeration
but not by much).

If it's a Windows shop it is probably PPTP which is
rarely blocked by ISP's and only mildly aweful to
set up. As VPN's go, that isn't too bad.

If you also run a router/packetfilter on your home you
will need to make sure it is passing the packets too.

PPTP/CHAPv2 is not exactly high-quality encryption but
is much better than the Captain Midnight Decoder Ring that was
v1.

David Fetrow Office: 206 616-0869