[linux] Fastest Fat32 Backup?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 2 21:22:52 PST 2004

Hey all,
I was just wondering what the fastest possible means of backing up FAT32
files with EUC-JP encoding is possible. I am stuck since I am trying to
transfer files from a Windows ME machine that's gone tail-up and I don't
have the ability to just reformat/install over since I get MBR errors since
ntldr isn't setup properly. I know it can be done with Linux/FreeBSD from
rescue CDs, but I just don't know which way is fastest, or if I can do it.
Also, would this be a good time to look into dd? I have 2 partitions, so I
can play around moving data from here to there. Also, I tried the Debian
rescue disk via BusyBox mounting with EUC-JP encoding as an option, but it
said invalid argument.
Thanks, and if I left anything out, please reply back and I'll clarify
some more.
Garrett