[linux] Fastest Fat32 Backup?

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 2 22:00:58 PST 2004

You could use one of the CD-bootable distros like Knoppix or
MandrakeMove. MandrakeMove even lets you unmount the
CD again once you are booted, so you could use it for saving
your data if necessary.

Linux really should not care about the encoding of files, or
even file names on a filesystem. It's just another string-of-bytes.
There was, in fact, a recent discussion of exactly this point on
the linux kernel mailing list if you want to hunt it up. The linux
kernel, and the filesystem support, is agnostic with regard to
character encoding.

Hang on a moment, I'll test it.... Nope, no problem. I can copy
files with Japanese-encoded filenames onto a FAT formatted
memory stick. They show up as expected, and read out normally.
Of course in order to see that it's working you need a suitable
terminal; I'm using kterm.

So I can see no reason why you couldn't boot to linux and
then either tar off your data, burn it to CDROM, or send it
off over the net to a destination of your choice.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Department of Biochemistry & Biomolecular Structure Center