[linux] Fwd: BookCrossing News & Whatnot - Spring Hire (fwd)

Richard Lotz rlotz at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 19 10:35:47 PST 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 10:29, Avery Ke wrote:

> David Talkington wrote:

>> Nice idea, but any "unneeded" tech books I might have are sadly out of

>> date. I say we instead send little slips of paper, like the kind you

>> find in fortune cookies, with a few simple strings such as:

>> http://www.freebsd.org

>> http://www.openbsd.org

>> http://www.gentoo.org

> alternative: send books anyway, but make a print-out of your list

> of useful current links, and tape print-out to inside cover of

> (out of date) book.

Don't forget some topics still benefit from dated information.
Programming books may be old but the fundamentals they teach are still
useful. Likewise even an old system management book may be beneficial
by laying good groundwork that can be supplemented with current online
information. I learned a lot from *nix books I'd pick up from computer
fairs or bookstores.

-richard

--
Richard Lotz