[linux] Linux Acrobat Reader crashes on failed search?

Ethan Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 30 10:24:55 PST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 09:58 am, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 9 on an IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop, and have the

> following annoying problem using Adobe Acrobat Reader (now called just

> Adobe Reader?) 5.08, which is the latest Linux version as far as I can

> tell. When I search for some text and the search fails, I get a "text

> not found" box and the program crashes.

I use Acrobat Reader extensively, and have never seen that problem
under Mandrake 8.1 -> 9.0 -> 10beta
So I suspect it is do to some incompatibility with libraries installed
by RedHat.

> So I'm curious if others also are experiencing this problem, and if

> there's a workaround. Google was unhelpful.

Nope. Never seen it here. I'm currently using acroread 5.0.8 under
Mandrake 9.2
But I do note the following curious statement in the README file
from the installation tarball:
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0.8 Additional Information
There is no search functionality available for the Linux version of the
Acrobat Reader.

I say "curious" because for me it works just fine. But maybe they are
aware of a problem with some configurations and just want to claim
it is unsupported rather than dealing with bug reports?

By the same token. If you open a PDF6 document containing entry
forms in 5.0.8 it pops up an "unsupported in this version" box.
But it fact it [mostly] works fine.

> (And just in case someone wants to suggest it, xpdf, while fine for some

> things, is not the answer here. Too many pdfs I have don't work with

> it, etc.)

Agreed. xpdf is useless. I uninstalled it long ago.

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Biomolecular Structure Center
Mailstop 357742
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195