[linux] Experience Red Hat's Committment to Education

Josh Larios jdlarios at cac.washington.edu
Tue Mar 30 11:58:59 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jeff Silverman wrote:

> Does this mean Red Hat has figured out a licensing scheme that works

> for us? If so, would somebody please tell me what it is?

For non-personal use, nothing has changed as far as I know. WS costs $25,
AS costs $50. There's a RHN proxy on campus you can use to accelerate your
RHN connections. For more details, see
http://www.washington.edu/computing/linux/

For personal use, the jury's still out. You could always purchase a
regular academic $25/$50 entitlement and use it for your personal
equipment, but if you want to take advantage of the free personal use
license, the short answer is "they're still working on that". I
participated in a conference call this morning with Red Hat, and there is
(finally) forward movement, but nothing I can point to and say "here's how
to do it right now".

--
Josh Larios, Unix Consultant
Computing & Communications Client Services