[linux] web-server help ( squid ?? )

Ed Mulligan mulligan at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 4 17:35:10 PDT 2004

Greetings UW Linux-land

After taking over 9 million hits on our web server in the last week (&
thats not counting the 14 million that went to a matching C&C server in
the same time period), we have decided that we need to do something before
the Mt St Helens deluge does us in. (Yes we were slashdotted too).

Any opinions on the use of "squid" as a reverse-proxy-caching server ??

Any direct experience ?

I seem to recall that if a site is mostly static pages (like ours), a big
memory machine dedicated to running squid can really spew it out.
(Faster than Apache alone ???)

Thanks for any help.

Ed Mulligan, ess computer & network support