[linux] Meetings this year

Jeremy Cheng hkdb at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 8 23:28:31 PDT 2004

Here's a personal definition of mine for RSO status:

Becoming RSO means that the Linux User Group will become an officially
recognized campus organization and will be supported by the student
government. Some of the benefits of being RSO is just free printing and
advertising resources like tents that you may see on the hub lawn once
in a while and etc to borrow from the RSO office. Also, we may from
time to time receive interesting information from the student government
in a RSO distributed mailinglist or receive special invitations to
events that may benefit our members of the organization. Being an RSO
will list us on the RSO website as well and from time to time, people of
our organization's interest may contact us through the RSO directory.
However, the disadvantage of this type of recognition will gain us some
spam as someone else mentioned already which I don't foresee as a
problem with the proper management of our mailinglist (ie, access
control and volunteer moderators).

Oh one last thing is I believe that RSO is our backer for any financial
or legal issues. In the case that we deal with funding, tax IDs, and
bank accounts, we are an official organization under the RSO backing and
therefore qualify for openning bank accounts and such without doing all
the ridiculous paper work to establish an NPO status out of our group.
However, the tax ID form is a monster in itself that you can't run away
from even with RSO status... =/

That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head right now
since I haven't dealt with all that stuff for an organization for about
a year now.

-J
--------------------------------------
Jeremy Yu Hin Cheng