[linux] Hard drive partitions porting???

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 20 00:36:30 PDT 2004

I was just curious if it's possible and if anyone has tried porting an entire drive over via DD for instance and changing the partitioning scheme somewhat in order for a smaller set of partitions to accomodate a larger drive.
For instance, I was wondering if I could preserve my partition structure (and data) for an 80 gb drive and effectively dd the whole entire drive and put it on a 160 gb drive, say. I know it's somewhat silly, but just curious since some files and so forth are sort of a pain to copy (some symlinks, lost+found, etc). I would probably expand my last partition (non-primary OS partition) to include the remaining space on the disk.
-Garrett