[linux] Hard drive partitions porting???

Ethan Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 19 12:54:16 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12:36 am, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> I was just curious if it's possible and if anyone has tried porting an entire drive over via DD for instance

> and changing the partitioning scheme somewhat in order for a smaller set of partitions to accomodate a larger drive.

I tried it. It doesn't work.
Also, in retrospect it was not a good idea even if it had worked.

> but just curious since some files and so forth are sort of a pain to copy

> (some symlinks, lost+found, etc).

symlinks? Why would those be any sort of problem.
lost+found: makes no sense to copy.

Much better idea:
1) Format new disk, with new partition layout
2) Tar entire old partition through a pipe to the new partition,
preserved files attributes, timestamps, etc.
3) Repeat for other partitions

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Biomolecular Structure Center
Mailstop 357742
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195