[linux] Hard drive partitions porting???

Brian C. Parkhurst brianp at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 20 08:56:14 PDT 2004

Another option?

Boot the system with new drive and old drive via a knoppix CD. This
avoids file access problems when working with active filesystems.

You should then partition the new drive the way you want.
Then tar each partition in turn from old to new.

You could then
Chroot into the new drive filesystem and
grub install a new boot partition onto the new drive...

Brian C. Parkhurst
Systems Programmer
UW Medicine IT Services
University of Washington
9725 3rd Ave NE #400
Seattle, WA 98115-2024
206-543-7458
PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and are
subject to public inspection and copying as required under state
public records laws:

Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use
of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or
if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,
disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this
transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and
then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.