[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

Doug McLean dougmc at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:02:31 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

It's been a little while since I posted to this list.

I recently bought/assembled an Athlon64 machine (with an MSI FSR 800 mobo,
VIA K8T chipset). I have a serial ATA drive on there, with some space to
throw Linux on there, but I also have a legacy IDE hard drive that at one
point had Slackware on it.

At this point, I want to put something Linux-y on this machine so I've
tried:

Fedora Core2 (at first i386, then later for 64-bit Athlons)
FreeBSD 5.2.1 (the 64-bit Athlon port)
Slackware 10 (this just flat out didn't work)

All of them run into various problems installing themselves on either the
SATA drive or on the legacy IDE drive. The problems all stem from
problems writing to the drives, or reading from the CD-Rom drive (which
like the IDE drive has worked on other computers with Linux). I kept the
IDE drive installed thinking that maybe something could at least get
installed there, but I run into problems nevertheless. I think the
Motherboard is the issue.

I think I have to wait a bit for Linux support for my motherboard to catch
up, but being impatient, I was wondering if anyone had any experience
getting Linux to work in a stable way on Athlon64 systems, especially with
MSI boards.

Does anyone recommend a distro (including FreeBSD) that potentially will
have the best support in the future?

Thanks all!

Doug McLean
CSS Systems Administrator