[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

peter woodman pjjw at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:31:08 PDT 2004

I think Debian is a pretty swell distribution, though I have no idea
what the status of it is for amd64 - I think support is pretty decent,
though.

On Oct 25, 2004, at 3:28 PM, Doug McLean wrote:

> Hi guys,

> So far, gentoo's the way to go, but I am leary of having to learn an

> entirely different distro, let alone one that's pretty different. I

> looked at the gentoo page and installation looks confusing right

> there. :p

> Besides gentoo, are there any other suggestions? If not, I will give

> gentoo a crack.

> Doug McLean

> CSS Systems Administrator

> University of Washington, Bothell

> http://staff.washington.edu/dougmc/pgp.html

> Meanwhile, in Gotham, Andrew Spott wrote:

>> I second that... just remember to read the amd64 howto on the gentoo

>> linux doc pages... they contain some edits to the installation howto

>> that need to be followed to get things to compile.

>> ANDREW SPOTT

>> Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:

>>> Gentoo Linux.

>>> Brian C. Parkhurst

>>> Systems Programmer

>>> UW Medicine IT Services

>>> University of Washington

>>> 9725 3rd Ave NE #400

>>> Seattle, WA 98115-2024

>>> 206-543-7458

>>> PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

>>> University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and are

>>> subject to public inspection and copying as required under state

>>> public records laws:

>>> Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be

>>> contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use

>>> of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or

>>> if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,

>>> disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this

>>> transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and

>>> then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.

>>> McLean

>>> Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 3:03 PM

>>> To: linux at u.washington.edu

>>> Subject: [linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

>>> Hi guys,

>>> It's been a little while since I posted to this list.

>>> I recently bought/assembled an Athlon64 machine (with an MSI FSR 800

>>> mobo,

>>> VIA K8T chipset). I have a serial ATA drive on there, with some

>>> space to

>>> throw Linux on there, but I also have a legacy IDE hard drive that at

>>> one

>>> point had Slackware on it.

>>> At this point, I want to put something Linux-y on this machine so

>>> I've

>>> tried:

>>> Fedora Core2 (at first i386, then later for 64-bit Athlons)

>>> FreeBSD 5.2.1 (the 64-bit Athlon port)

>>> Slackware 10 (this just flat out didn't work)

>>> All of them run into various problems installing themselves on either

>>> the

>>> SATA drive or on the legacy IDE drive. The problems all stem from

>>> problems writing to the drives, or reading from the CD-Rom drive

>>> (which

>>> like the IDE drive has worked on other computers with Linux). I kept

>>> the

>>> IDE drive installed thinking that maybe something could at least get

>>> installed there, but I run into problems nevertheless. I think the

>>> Motherboard is the issue.

>>> I think I have to wait a bit for Linux support for my motherboard to

>>> catch

>>> up, but being impatient, I was wondering if anyone had any experience

>>> getting Linux to work in a stable way on Athlon64 systems, especially

>>> with

>>> MSI boards.

>>> Does anyone recommend a distro (including FreeBSD) that potentially

>>> will