[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

Brian C. Parkhurst brianp at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:36:36 PDT 2004

It's a bit involved, I'll admit, but you'll gain a tremendous
performance advantage. (compiled to your platform).

A colleague of mine is currently running on Gentoo on his opteron
system and been thrilled at the speed. He's been a bit disappointed
on some of the packages that aren't compilable (sp?) on amd64 yet but
it's a try it and see route there.

Download the livecd for amd64 and boot the basic system and follow
the manual from there. Be ready to spend a weekend on it as it can
be a bit confusing at first.

Gentoo uses a package based system similar to the freebsd's ports
system.

The most common command is emerge (retrieve/compile a package).

Look at the packages.gentoo.org page for a specific package for amd64
if you want a specific tool. (e.g. openoffice, firefox, etc.)

Note that the masking information can be confusing at first amd64
means stable and well tested ~amd64 means possibly unstable not well
tested and - means not tested/supported. That doesn't mean you can't
try it yourself.

Brian C. Parkhurst
Systems Programmer
UW Medicine IT Services
University of Washington
9725 3rd Ave NE #400
Seattle, WA 98115-2024
206-543-7458
PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and are
subject to public inspection and copying as required under state
public records laws:

Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use
of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or
if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,
disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this
transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and
then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.