[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

Doug McLean dougmc at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:43:57 PDT 2004

Hm, that does make more sense. Maybe I will give it a try, but on the
other hand, my wife uses the computer too (to play Halo), so I can't
really spend a "weekend on it". I would like to get it right in one,
maybe two, tries.

Doug McLean
CSS Systems Administrator
University of Washington, Bothell
http://staff.washington.edu/dougmc/pgp.html

Meanwhile, in Gotham, Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:

> It's a bit involved, I'll admit, but you'll gain a tremendous

> performance advantage. (compiled to your platform).

> A colleague of mine is currently running on Gentoo on his opteron

> system and been thrilled at the speed. He's been a bit disappointed

> on some of the packages that aren't compilable (sp?) on amd64 yet but

> it's a try it and see route there.

> Download the livecd for amd64 and boot the basic system and follow

> the manual from there. Be ready to spend a weekend on it as it can

> be a bit confusing at first.

> Gentoo uses a package based system similar to the freebsd's ports

> system.

> The most common command is emerge (retrieve/compile a package).

> Look at the packages.gentoo.org page for a specific package for amd64

> if you want a specific tool. (e.g. openoffice, firefox, etc.)

> Note that the masking information can be confusing at first amd64

> means stable and well tested ~amd64 means possibly unstable not well

> tested and - means not tested/supported. That doesn't mean you can't

> try it yourself.

> Brian C. Parkhurst

> Systems Programmer

> UW Medicine IT Services

> University of Washington

> 9725 3rd Ave NE #400

> Seattle, WA 98115-2024

> 206-543-7458

> PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

> University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and are

> subject to public inspection and copying as required under state

> public records laws:

> Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be

> contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use

> of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or

> if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,

> disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this

> transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and

> then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.

>>> 9725 3rd Ave NE #400

>>> Seattle, WA 98115-2024

>>> 206-543-7458

>>> PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

>>> University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and

>>> are subject to public inspection and copying as required under

>>> state public records laws:

>>> Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may

>>> be contained in this message. This information is meant only for

>>> the use of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended

>>> recipient, or if the message has been addressed to you in error,

>>> do not read,

>>> disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this

>>> transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail,

>>> and then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.

>>> Subject: [linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

>>> Hi guys,

>>> It's been a little while since I posted to this list.

>>> I recently bought/assembled an Athlon64 machine (with an MSI FSR

>>> 800 mobo,

>>> VIA K8T chipset). I have a serial ATA drive on there, with some

>>> space to

>>> throw Linux on there, but I also have a legacy IDE hard drive that

>>> at one

>>> point had Slackware on it.

>>> At this point, I want to put something Linux-y on this machine so

>>> I've

>>> tried:

>>> Fedora Core2 (at first i386, then later for 64-bit Athlons)

>>> FreeBSD 5.2.1 (the 64-bit Athlon port)

>>> Slackware 10 (this just flat out didn't work)

>>> All of them run into various problems installing themselves on

>>> either the

>>> SATA drive or on the legacy IDE drive. The problems all stem from

>>> problems writing to the drives, or reading from the CD-Rom drive

>>> (which