[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

zanfur at zanfur.com zanfur at zanfur.com
Mon Oct 25 17:26:02 PDT 2004

It's not free, but SuSE 9 and SuSE 8 Enterprise both work remarkably well
on the Athlon64 platform, on the K8T chipset. It's what the PogoLinux
1264's use. (I've personally installed this distro on about a hundred of
the buggers.)

I know from experience that FC2 works on that chipset as well, but there
are some issues with DMA on the SATA controllers, and even on some PATA
controllers. "Issues" range from simply not using DMA to glorious crashes
with lots of pretty blinking lights on the screen. Fortunately, there are
kernel updates that fix this problem, if you can get it installed in the
first place. I got around this problem by turning off DMA in the bios,
installing FC2 that way (very, very slowly), updating every rpm (using
yum) to the most current -- most importantly, the kernel -- and then
turning DMA on. just remember to pass the nodma option to the kernel
while installing.

Cheers!
-robin