[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

Joby Walker joby at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 21:33:38 PDT 2004

You should be able to get the AMD64 Gentoo bootable overnight -- it
might take the weekend or more to get everything running that you want.
Just try to do the minimum. And since there isn't much difference
for AMD64 you could even do a Stage3 build -- where you install binaries
rather than compiling everthing and it should only take an hour or two
at most. You should probably print out both the technotes and the handbook.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/technotes.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml

Before I converted to Gentoo, I used Redhat almost exclusively and I
didn't find it hard to make the conversion. Even back with Gentoo 1.2 I
found Gentoo's documentation better, and the administration more intuitive.

Joby Walker
C&C Computer Operations Software Support Group

Doug McLean wrote:

> Hm, that does make more sense. Maybe I will give it a try, but on the

> other hand, my wife uses the computer too (to play Halo), so I can't

> really spend a "weekend on it". I would like to get it right in one,

> maybe two, tries.

> Doug McLean

> CSS Systems Administrator

> University of Washington, Bothell

> http://staff.washington.edu/dougmc/pgp.html

> Meanwhile, in Gotham, Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:

>> It's a bit involved, I'll admit, but you'll gain a tremendous

>> performance advantage. (compiled to your platform).

>> A colleague of mine is currently running on Gentoo on his opteron

>> system and been thrilled at the speed. He's been a bit disappointed

>> on some of the packages that aren't compilable (sp?) on amd64 yet but

>> it's a try it and see route there.

>> Download the livecd for amd64 and boot the basic system and follow

>> the manual from there. Be ready to spend a weekend on it as it can

>> be a bit confusing at first.

>> Gentoo uses a package based system similar to the freebsd's ports

>> system.

>> The most common command is emerge (retrieve/compile a package).

>> Look at the packages.gentoo.org page for a specific package for amd64

>> if you want a specific tool. (e.g. openoffice, firefox, etc.)

>> Note that the masking information can be confusing at first amd64

>> means stable and well tested ~amd64 means possibly unstable not well

>> tested and - means not tested/supported. That doesn't mean you can't

>> try it yourself.

>> Brian C. Parkhurst

>> Systems Programmer

>> UW Medicine IT Services

>> University of Washington

>> 9725 3rd Ave NE #400

>> Seattle, WA 98115-2024

>> 206-543-7458

>> PGP Fingerprint DF84 0F88 AB6C F771 BB4E 7F4F F674 AA62 EEB4 1888

>> University of Washington e-mail messages are public records and are

>> subject to public inspection and copying as required under state

>> public records laws:

>> Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be

>> contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use

>> of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or

>> if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,

>> disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this

>> transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and

>> then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.

>>> compile.