[linux] A linux distro for my Athlon64

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:38:53 PDT 2004

Gentoo is the best for keeping things up to date. With the exception to
etc-update, which has the tendency to break some programs with outdated
config files the emerge system is by far the best seen thus far.
I'd say that it beats FreeBSD and their ports system hands down. Plus
Gentoo has an excellent set of forums which is the best I've seen thus far
for finding out info and if an ebuild is broken, it will be fixed quickly
guaranteed (unless it's an unstable or CVS based build, which you'll get
quick directions back about how to fix it).
FC may be ok in the future except that it isn't always as updatable as
one would want to be even with freshrpms, being as how it's a Redhat based
build and all. I'm sure that the amd64 rpms are few and far between as well.
Install does take some time, but seeing as how you're experienced with
Linux it should take no longer than 1 day to get a full xorg enabled gnome
system or similar up and running with Mozilla, mplayer, gaim and the rest of
what you need for your system. If you don't need X, it will take 1-2 hours.
Also, you get the binaries for a lot of programs so that might be the better
avenue to go for larger builds like xorg. For me I just build away =).
-Garrett