[linux] Free alternative to PHPNuke?

Josh Larios jdlarios at cac.washington.edu
Wed Jun 22 14:03:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knew a good free alternative to PHPNuke.

PHP-Nuke 7.7 is available for free download at
http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

It's just version 7.8 that costs $10 to download, isn't it?

Or were you concerned about the $300 commercial license? Because all you
get with that is the developer's permission to remove the PHP-Nuke
copyright notices and branding from the code, which he already gave you by
releasing it under the GPL. As long as you have a prominent
credits/about/colophon page which contains his copyright notice and a link
to the GPL, I think you're safe. (I am not a lawyer, insert standard
disclaimer here.)

As for free (in either the "beer" or "speech" senses) alternatives, there
are tons of choices. Check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/ for a decent
list.

--Josh