[linux] Recommend an info->anything_readable converter

Phillip Garland pgarland at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 17 12:36:26 PDT 2005

Texinfo (the text processor that outputs Info files) also supports outputting to HTML, XML, DocBook, PDF, DVI, and plain text. If you have the texinfo package installed, and the texinfo sources for your documentation, you should be able to generate those formats by using the `makeinfo', `texi2dvi', or `texi2pdf' commands. See the documentation for texinfo and those commands for details,

but generally its just a matter of doing something like:

makeinfo --html foo.texi

or

texi2pdf foo.texi

Nobody needs another man vs. info or emacs vs. the universe debate, but I prefer info documentation because it integrates well with emacs (although the woman mode for reading man pages is also very nice), is searchable hypertext, has a hierarchal structure, and an index and a table of contents

~Phillip

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." --Alan Kay