[linux] followup from newbie with a quad-core

Tony Black tblack at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 1 09:42:17 PST 2008

I want to thank list members 'joshuadf' and 'mbw" for the quick and accurate
afternoon Friday and had it configured and running 8 jobs by 4:30.

Additional thanks to 'joshuadf' for being at his phone when I called for
partitioning guidance.

You guys were right on about this job profile being CPU bound; the machine
is using a fraction of the 8 GB memory. However, the quad-core smokes and
we are giddy about the apparent throughput of this machine doing 8 jobs in
two days where our P4 machines were doing 1 job in 4 days.

After doing some more research on my own, I will return to the list with
questions about how to pass the SIT certification hurdle and get this
machine on the network.

Tony Black
Research Consultant - Systems Information Manager
Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
University of Washington
Harborview Research & Training Building, Room 610
Box 359640
206-897-5382 (desk phone)
206-930-9590 (cell/pager)