[linux] Recommendations for Linux Adminstration and/or Perl training?

J. Franklin joshuadf at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 6 07:41:28 PST 2008

Another self-help type thing I've heard of people doing is
using a training budget to buy the best books. Here are a
some of my favorites:

* Linux Administration Handbook (2nd Edition) by Evi Nemeth, Garth
Snyder, Trent R. Hein (covers Debian as well as Red Hat and SuSE)

* Learning the bash Shell By Cameron Newham, Bill Rosenblatt

* Linux Server Hacks by William von Hagen

The key here is to learn the tools you use all the time deeply. The
bash shell is key since it's your interface to the system and it's what
most startup scripts use.

You don't say what you're using perl for, so I'm going to assume you've
already got some O'Reilly perl books. If it's web-based, Practical
mod_perl by Stas Bekman, Eric Cholet has some great details.

Another recommendation I have if you really want to learn about
the system works is to go through Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ Don't expect to come out of it
with something really useful, but you'll see what distributions are
all about and maybe even learn what "gettext" really does. :)