[linux] Recommendations for Linux Adminstration and/or Perl training?

Jim Hogan jimh at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 6 16:03:30 PST 2008

Jon,

Jonathan Larson wrote:

> Joshua and Daniel,

> Thanks to you both for the book recommendations.

> I started through the basic Perl book (The 'llama' book?) available from the Proquest site through the UW libraries, but it appears that they have pulled that book (and many others) from their selection recently, so I'll probably put together a purchase list based on your recommendations

> To expand a little on my Perl usage--I administer a small group of linux boxes running MythTV for the Law School. They record about 15-20 hours of class footage per day, and the perl scripts come into play in processing the recorded content--transcoding, tagging, creating podcasts.

> So far I've gotten by with just modifying someone else's scripts, but I'd really like to be able to do some more novel tasks, such as placing a "record" button on the classroom computers that could insert a record command into the MythTV database (MySQL).

This is *very* interesting. Probably not something we'll get to in
2008, but I'd be very interested in hearing more about this MythTV
setup/usage.

> Does anyone have experience with the Consultix training courses?:

> http://minimalperl.com/consultix/schedule/index.html

No, but our sysadmin Brian High got their book and thought Maher's
approach in the book was very good.

Cheers,

Jim

--
Jim Hogan jimh at u.washington.edu

Director, Computing Support
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Room 301F
Box 354695
206-616-7836