[linux] securing RHEL5 for UWMedicine network

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadf at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 26 15:59:36 PDT 2008

Tony Black wrote:

> I have a RHEL5 workstation that I would like to put on the UWMedicine

> network and join to the AMC domain. Being new to Linux, I am a bit baffled

> by what is required to:

> - firewall the machine and/or provide intrusion detection

> - provide for secure remote login

> - provide access to secure SANs in the AMC domain

> - jump through the various hoops to complete the Security Cetification

> If any of you have ever completed the Security Cetification for a RHEL

> workstation, or can provide any guidance on the above issues, please let me

> know.

What certification guide are you using? EL5 includes a
firewall and ssh remote login by defaults.

For basic tasks like joining a domain I would recommend the
Deployment Guide:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/index.html

There are also other manuals and PDF downloads here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/