[linux] sldapd upgrade, starts fine, but package manager thinks it is not configured

Maria McKinley parody at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 3 10:52:11 PST 2011

Greetings,

I just upgraded my ldap server from Lenny to Squeeze, but slapd did not
restart.

Starting OpenLDAP: slapd ESC[31mfailed!ESC[39;49m
invoke-rc.d: initscript slapd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing slapd (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of slapd-dbg:
slapd-dbg depends on slapd (= 2.4.23-7); however:
Package slapd is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing slapd-dbg (--configure):

I managed to fix the problem with the slapd configuration. The
TLSCipherSuite was originally set to this:

TLSCipherSuite TLS_DHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA
TLSCipherSuite TLS_RSA_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA1

Which I had changed to get around a bug that happened if I set it to HIGH in
the last version, but I digress. I have now changed the suite to NORMAL, and
slapd starts up and works just fine. But, the package manager still thinks
it is not configured yet. What should I do? It is complaining about being
unable to move stuff to backups, but I am a little afraid that if I get rid
of stuff in this directory, it will move stuff and break my newly working
slapd.

slapd
slapd-dbg
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up slapd (2.4.23-7) ...
Backing up /etc/ldap/slapd.d in /var/backups/slapd-2.4.11-1+lenny2...
done.
Moving old database directories to /var/backups:

Backup path /var/backups/dc=shadlen,dc=org-2.4.11-1+lenny2.ldapdb exists.
Giving up...
dpkg: error processing slapd (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of slapd-dbg:
slapd-dbg depends on slapd (= 2.4.23-7); however:
Package slapd is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing slapd-dbg (--configure):
slapd
slapd-dbg

thanks,
maria