[Popgenlunch] Friday talk

Serge Sverdlov sverdlov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:48:44 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,
I believe I'm scheduled to talk this Friday the 13th at the popgen lunch.
The topic is using heavy tailed (and specifically Cauchy) distributions for
modeling quantitative traits: how the Cauchy distribution lets us sneak
blending inheritance past the variance decay effect, how population
distributions are related to heritability for such traits, and a hand-waving
argument for how we could evolve heavy tailed traits in the first place.

Earlier versions of the slides and paper respectively:
Heavy-Tailed Distrib..><http://students.washington.edu/serges/Heavy-Tailed%20Distributions%20in%20Quantitative%20Trait%20Genetics.pdf>

2008JSMProceedings.pdf
<http://students.washington.edu/serges/2008JSMProceedings.pdf>

Thank you, and knowing that the subject is, to unfairly quote
Elizabeth, "esoteric," please be gentle,

Serge Sverdlov (serges at stat, serges at u)