[Popgenlunch] Allen Rodrigo of NESCENT to talk Monday

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed Jun 16 16:10:41 PDT 2010

Folks --

Would you please spread this to appropriate local mailing lists?

Allen Rodrigo, who is the head the NESCENT, the National Evolutionary
Synthesis Center in Durham, North Carolina, is speaking here Monday:

Allen Rodrigo, The National Evolutionary Synthesis Center and
Department of Biology, Duke University.

The Challenge of Diversity presents a Diversity of Challenges: new
efforts in computational evolutionary biology

Recent sequencing technologies, including the ability to obtain sequences from
the past, presents exciting opportunities and challenges for computational
evolutionary biologists. Here, I will describe ongoing research in our lab
that addresses some of these challenges. First, I will describe our work
modelling changes in evolutionary rates in heterochronous sequences, as these
changes relate to an external covariate. Next, I will talk about the
challenge of cryptic species delimitation using a coalescent-based hypothesis
testing procedure. Third, I will discuss our work on maximum-likelihood
supertree estimation. Finally, if time permits, I will talk about a recent
attempt at an embarrassingly parallel MCMC procedure to recover estimates of
evolutionary parameters.

The talk is in S060 Foege Building at 3:00pm Monday, June 21

I attach the Word-format notice also.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu