[Popgenlunch] Informal seminar on phylogenetic methods at noon on 7/30 by Wim Hordijk]

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Thu Jul 29 12:10:41 PDT 2010

Folks --

Feel free to spread this around.

A reminder of a seminar this Friday. Wim Hordijk will be on campus from
about 11:00am that day -- if any of you want to talk to him, contact me.

Note that I had a typo in Wim's web page URL. It is correct below.

(my earlier message, corrected):

An informal seminar by a visiting computer scientist who has worked on
phylogeny will occur at 12:00 noon on the 30th of July in S110 Foege Building.

Speaker: Wim Hordijk

Title: Adventures in Phylogenetics

Abstract:

Different species evolve at different times and in different places.
Phylogenetics tries to connect them together again by inferring their
evolutionary history which is then depicted as a phylogenetic tree.
Various computational methods are available to construct such a tree,
or to derive additional information from it.

In this talk I will infer the evolutionary history of the different
phylogenetics projects I have worked on at different times and in
different places. What connects all these projects together, is their
focus on the development and improvement of computational methods in
phylogenetics. Three of these projects will be presented briefly:

1. An implementation of extended supertree algorithms.
2. Efficient SPR moves in maximum likelihood tree search.
3. Estimating evolutionary rates from phylogenetic trees.

Hordijk's web site will be found here: http://www.worldwidewanderings.net
His publications list will be found there. He will be in Seattle on the
30th and is available to meet with the local phylogenetics community on
that day. If you want to be on his schedule please contact me.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu