[Popgenlunch] Talk by David Bryant 12/8 at 2:30

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Mon Nov 28 14:44:07 PST 2011

Folks --

David Bryant of the University of Otago in New Zealand is visiting from 12/6 to
12/8. He has done wonderful work on the mathematics of phylogenies but has
recently begun to also work on coalescents. The talk is:

In room: S110 Foege Building

at: 2:30-3:30

on: Wednesday, December 7

Title: How to Lie with Simulations

Speaker: David Bryant

From: University of Otago

ABSTRACT: Simulation experiments are used throughout the sciences to make model
comparisons, predict future events, and lobby for particular hypotheses or
metholodogies. Simulations can transform subjective design decisions into
seemingly objective results. One of the key design decisions is the choice and
range of values used for model parameters. We decribe a Markov chain
Monte-Carlo (MCMC) framework for conducting simulation experiments. It uses
MCMC to sample parameter values in the simulations, thereby improving
efficiency and (potentially) transparency. We illustrate the framework with
applications to phylogenetics, epidemiology, and archaeology.

This is joint work with Jessica Leigh, also at Otago.

I am coordinating his schedule.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu