[Popgenlunch] Another population genetics talk on Friday

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Thu Oct 24 11:31:40 PDT 2013

One more talk Friday worth noting:

In addition to PopGenLunch, the hour after it (so 1:30-2:30pm) is Evolution and Systematics Seminar, which meets in 320 Hitchcock Hall, a short walk from PopGenLunch. This week Jake Cooper, a Biology grad student is speaking about his manuscript-in-prep on mutation-selection balance in subdivided populations. From Jake:

"We model mutation-selection balance in subdivided populations, and use a moment closure technique to solve the equations. The main result -- that subdivision boosts the mutant pool -- is checked for accuracy and robustness with lots of simulations. We then show how the findings affect walks on adaptive landscapes.

I'll explain the following along the way:
- mutation selection balance
- spatial structure
- moment closure
- adaptive landscapes

Then I'll outline my next project -- sex in subdivided populations -- and I'd love feedback. It's in the early early stages."

That is pure theoretical population genetics, worth supporting.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu