[Popgenlunch] Special PopGenLunch seminar 9/16: Yun Song

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue Sep 2 20:57:11 PDT 2014

(Please feel free to circulate this to other
mailing lists and persons)

A special PopGenLunch seminar on the 16th, at noon:

Back by popular demand --

Dr. Yun Song

of the Departments of Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science (EECS), Stat istics, and
Integrative Biology at the University of
California, Berkeley
(http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~yss/)

will speak at 12:00 noon in S-110 Foege
Building, the usual PopGenLunch meeting
place.

Title: Demographic inference and the geometry of
the sample frequency spectrum: A tale of two bananas

Abstract: The sample frequency spectrum (SFS)
is a highly efficient dimensional reduction of
large-scale population genomic variation data
into just a few numbers. The expected frequency
spectrum of a sample randomly drawn from a
population depends on the underlying demographic
history of the population, and many inference
methods critically rely on this relationship.
In this talk, I will present some positive and
negative theoretical results on demographic
inference using the SFS.

Dr. Song will be around on Tuesday until mid-
afternoon, and people wanting to see him can
contact me. (I'm not sure what the two bananas
are, perhaps the Gros Michel and the Cavendish?
There's certainly a tale there!))

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu