[Popgenlunch] Kerry Bubb on Friday plus our latest schedule

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed Oct 1 07:00:10 PDT 2014

The first session of PopGenLunch will occur
this Friday. We will meet at the usual time,
12:30-1:30pm. This quarter (and next) we
will meet in S040, the downstairs seminar room
which is opposite the elevator in Foege South.
(During Spring quarter 2015 we will have S110
again).

Friday's talk will be by Kerry Bubb, of
the Department of Genome Sciences. Her
title will be:

Heterosis and Robustness: theory, evidence and applications

Here is the schedule for the remainder of the
quarter. I am away two times, on October 10
and on October 17. However Josh Schraiber of
Genome Sciences has volunteered to take my place
for those two weeks. On October 10, he will
help us try a new format: he will cover a paper
in the literature in "journal club" format rather
than present his own work (he does that later
in the quarter). He will announce the paper
later. On the 17th someone else might want
to do a journal-club presentation.

On October 24th, S040 is also not available --
Biology Department has kindly offered us
Kincaid 502 for that session, so we will meet
there. There is no speaker yet for that date.

So here is the schedule for the rest of the
quarter. I will be volunteering for one session.
Can you help fill this schedule out?

October 3
Kerry Bubb (Genome Sciences)
Heterosis and Robustness: theory, evidence and applications

October 10
Josh Schraiber (Genome Sciences)
will present a paper or papers from the literature

October 17 TBA
(Josh will be in charge for this session)

October 24 TBA
(we will meet in Kincaid 502 that day)

October 31
Mike Dorrity (Biology)
Feasibility of identifying 'small' effects on fitness

November 7
Josh Schraiber (Genome Sciences)
Coalescent models of quantitative trait evolution

November 14
Sharon Browning (Biostatistics)
Estimating effective population size using IBD

November 21 TBA

November 28
No session (Black Friday commercial holiday)

December 5 TBA

December 12
(last day of exam week)

----