[Popgenlunch] PopGenLunch Friday October 24 (not), plus schedule

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:56:12 PDT 2014

This Friday there will be no session of PopGenLunch, as we never had a
volunteer to talk about their own work or journal-club-style.

Next week is Mike Dorrity with some interesting computer simulations of
experimental evolution studies. Here is the upcoming schedule:

October 31
Mike Dorrity (Biology)
Feasibility of identifying 'small' effects on fitness

November 7
Josh Schraiber (Genome Sciences)
Coalescent models of quantitative trait evolution

November 14
Sharon Browning (Biostatistics)
Estimating effective population size using IBD

November 21 TBA

November 28
No session (Black Friday commercial holiday)

December 5 TBA

December 12
(last day of exam week)

All those will be in Foege S040, the downstairs seminar room, at the usual
time 12:30-1:30pm.

I could not fill in this week myself because I am too busy preparing a talk
in the following hour:
I will talk to the EvolSyst seminar (1:30-2:30 in Hitchcock 320) in a
series on Grand Challenges on the topic "How can we tell history from
geography?". (These are talks posing problems, not solving them).

By the way, thanks to Toby Bradshaw for reserving us Kincaid 502 for this
week for PopGenLunch, even though it turned out we didn't use it. Someone
else had S040 this
week.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu