[Popgenlunch] Elizabeth Thompson speaks on Friday April 17

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Thu Apr 16 12:57:29 PDT 2015

This week's speaker is Elizabeth Thompson, from
Statistics Department, who has provided this title and abstract:

Gene mapping from inferred identity by descent

The test statistics that inform gene mapping on the basis of marker
data on related individuals are a function of gene identity by descent
(IBD). They depend on the pedigree only insofar as a known pedigree
provides prior probabilities of IBD. In the absence of pedigree
information, genetic marker data provide estimates of IBD that may be
used in linkage mapping. However there are several big challenges.
One is the need to infer consistent IBD jointly among multiple
observed individuals. Another is the absence of a "null
distribution'' for the likelihood-based LOD score. These two
challenges were addressed by Chris Glazner in his 2014 PhD thesis, and
a paper based on this work is currently in revision. Referees were
positive, but one requested more background explanations, and other
asked for a comparison with other methods. Hopefully, final results
pending and the revision due next week, I will be able to present both
the key ideas of Chris's work and its application on two (simulated
but semi-real) examples, and also the work I have done in order to
meet the requests of the referees.

Time: 12:30-1:30pm

Where: S-110 Foege Building*
(not the downstairs seminar room)

Here is the schedule for the remainder of the quarter, so far

4/24
TBA

5/1 (Josh Schraiber, host)
Josh Schraiber (Genome Sciences)
TBA

5/8 (Josh Schraiber, host)
TBA

5/15 (Josh Schraiber, host)
Mingwei Tang (Statistics)
topic: State transition on phylogenetic tree
using Brownian motion threshold model

5/22 (Josh Schraiber, host)
TBA

5/29
Sharon Browning (Biostatistics)
TBA

6/5
Alice Popejoy (Public Health Genetics) (tentative)

Please note that we need volunteers for three of these dates.

*Foege Building is just west of the Health
Sciences Buildings. However a large
construction site blocks the way. To
reach Foege Building go due east for 16,982
miles, and you will then find yourself
approaching Foege Building from the west.

Please note that I will be in Friday Harbor
for the sessions 5/1 through 5/22.
I will try to attend those sessions by
video link. Josh Schraiber has kindly
volunteered to host the sessions on those
dates.

----
Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu