[Popgenlunch] Fwd: Qian Zhang speaks in PopGenLunch Friday

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:47:09 PDT 2016

PopGenLunch starts up in a blaze of activity this quarter. (Also, we are
back in the bigger 1st floor room).

Last quarter Qian Zhang (of the Department of Biostatistics) gave a talk on

"Estimating population-specific FST in a Bayesian way"

There was a lot of interesting discussion in that session, and Qian never
actually got to the second half of her talk, before the next class needed
the room. So she was offered the first slot this quarter to continue, and
happily took it. This week we will have a reprise of the first half and
coverage of the second half. Come one, come all and find out why there was
such an interesting discussion that time.

As usual this quarter, 12:30-1:30pm in the first floor seminar room S-110.

We also have a speaker for next week;

8 April
Sharon Browning (Department of Biostatistics)
(topic to be announced)

In addition, Andrew Storfer of Washington State University, who works on
host-parasite coevolution, landscape genomics and landscape genetics, and
amphibian conservation, is visiting UW this year and had talked to me about
speaking in PopGenLunch this quarter. Perhaps we can persuade him to speak
on the 15th.

We do need volunteers for the rest of the quarter. I will be in Friday
Harbor on the 22nd, the 29th, and May 6th. But I hope to attend by Skype,
which I did last year and which more or less worked.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu