[Popgenlunch] PopGenLunch Friday: A gross problem of a gross organism

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Thu May 19 16:28:26 PDT 2016

Folks --

Tomorrow (Friday the 20th) in PopGenLunch we have discussion of an unusual
organism with an even more unusual problem. It is rare enough that we hear
about an organism so dramatic that it has been made into a gross and
disgusting cartoon character

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Devil_(Looney_Tunes)

but even more unheard of that we hear about an infectious cancer
transmitted (as cancer cells) between individuals. We get both.

Andrew Storfer (who is on sabbatical from the School of Biological
Sciences at Washington State University)

will speak on

"Evolutionary responses of Tasmanian devil to an infectious cancer"

as usual, 12:30-1:30 pm in S-110. I hope the door lock works this time.

Here's the schedule for the rest of the quarter:

On Friday the 27th

Alice Popejoy (Public Health Genetics) will be the speaker. Topic to be
announced

and on Friday, June 3rd

Qian Sophia Zhang (Biostatistics) will update us further on her Bayesian
methods for analyzing population differentiation.

Joe Felsenstein, joe at gs.washington.edu
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Box 355065,
Seattle, WA. 98195-5065 USA