[Popgenlunch] Mike Dorrity speaks tomorrow (Wednesday) in PopGenLunch

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue Jan 24 16:04:48 PST 2017

PopGenLunch folks --

We're off and running! Tomorrow Mike Dorrity of the Queitsch Lab in
the Department of Biology (wait a second, isn't that lab in Genome
Sciences?) will be our speaker, on

"Encoding the decision to mate or invade in a single yeast transcription factor"

As usual this quarter, not on the first floor but in the downstairs
small seminar room opposite the elevator, S040. And as usual, from
12:30 -- 1:30pm.

We seem to have many volunteers now, so many of our slots are fille.
Here is the schedule as I know it:

January 25
Mike Dorrity
Queitsch Lab, Biology*
Encoding the decision to mate or invade in a single yeast transcription factor

February 1
Alice Popejoy
Public Health Genetics
(A postdoc interview practice talk, title TBA)

February 8
Bowen Wang
Statistics
Efficient estimation of realized kinship from SNP genotypes
(their paper:)
http://www.genetics.org/content/early/2017/01/17/genetics.116.197004

February 15
Aaron Baraff
Statistics
Likelihood-based haplotype frequency modeling using variable-order Markov chains

February 22
Serena Tucci
Akey Lab, Genome Sciences
A review of models of Out of Africa

"based on the following papers which came out few months ago together
with ~800 new human genomes:"

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7624/full/nature18299.html
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7624/full/nature18964.html
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7624/full/nature19792.html

March 1
TBA

March 8
TBA

(and we are talking with one other volunteer whose date is not yet decided)

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu