[Popgenlunch] Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics Workshop at Friday Harbor Labs

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:43:41 PST 2017

Folks on this mailing list --

I think that many of you may have heard of this, please excuse me for
the redundant email in that case.

This summer, in the first week of June, Steve Arnold of Oregon State
University and I will co-lead a weeklong Evolutionary Quantitative
Genetics Workshop. It has a webpage on the Friday Harbor Labs summer
courses page, here:

http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/studentSummer2017.html#SumB-genetics

which includes a link to the application form and links to material on
previous EQG workshops. I am reminding people of it because we are
approaching the deadline for applications, which is the end of the day
on March 1, and although there has been an encouraging response, we
still have room in the workshop for more students.

This workshop has been run yearly since 2011 at two other locations,
the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center at Duke University, and the
National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis at the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville. This year we have moved to Friday
Harbor Laboratories, which as you know is a beautiful and nearby
location. The workshop has multiple lecturers, including us and a
number of excellent guest lecturers. It is open to graduate students,
postdocs, and faculty members,

Owing to the use of their facilities for their summer courses, the
workshop is scheduled to run from the 4th to the 10th of June this
year, with lectures from the 5th to the 9th. We are well aware that
this is during UW's Spring Quarter (it will be finals week) and that
this may conflict with coursework and with teaching responsibilities,
but we could not run it later in the summer, and the dates will be
possible for many universities.

The workshop costs $1,000 per student, which pays for the lab's and
lecturers' expenses (no honoraria are paid) and also pays for the
student's housing and meals at the lab. There is some money available
from the American Society of Naturalists to partially compensate a
limited number of students who are members of that Society, as
described on the workshop web page. We cannot, alas, promise a
discount for UW students, although some who are resident at Friday
Harbor Labs may be able to sit in on a space-available basis.
However, at least travel expenses will not be much of a barrier!

We hope that you will help us pass the word about this workshop. Tell
people to follow the links at the above site.

Many thanks

Joe Felsenstein and Steve Arnold
----
Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu