[Popgenlunch] Joe Felsenstein in PopGenLunch on Friday at 12:30 in S110

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Mon Apr 2 21:30:03 PDT 2018

Folks --

PopGenLunch in Spring Quarter will be on
Fridays from 12:30-1:30pm in our usual
room, S110 Foege Building.

(Remember, not Wednesday and not
downstairs)

This quarter I will be away for about
5 of the sessions, 3 of them in Friday
Harbor, from where I will try to attend
by Skype. We will try to have sessions
anyway, with others in charge. I mark
the two sessions I have to miss by (*) below,
and those which I will attend by Skype
by (S).

April 6
Joe Felsenstein (Genome Sciences/Biology)
Have Basener and Sanford shown that
deleterious mutations are unstoppable?

This is reports on one of my analyses of
creationist arguments. The particular argument, by
William Basener and John Sanford, was in a peer-reviewed
journal, and it is open-access and can be read here:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00285-017-1190-x
My own responses have been in threads at the
site The Skeptical Zone (theskepticalzone.com) and I
am working on a further response. This talk seems to
obey Betteridge's Law of Headlines: "Any headline that
ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

The rest of the schedule so far for the
quarter:

April 13 (*)
Sharon Browning (Biostatistics)
Denisovans in your family tree

April 20
TBA

April 27 (*)
Marshall Abrams (Philosophy, University of Alabama - Brimingham)
Deemphasizing individuals: Population genetics and the metaphysics of
evolutionary processes

May 4
TBA

May 11
TBA

May 18 (S)
TBA

May 25 (S)
reserved, see below

June 1 (S)
reserved, see below

(One of the last two sessions will
actually have Bruce Weir, speaking on
"Estimating the inbreeding coefficient",
and the other will have Elizabeth
Thompson, speaking on a closely
related topic. They will be working
out who goes first.)

For the other sessions, volunteers are,
of course, welcome.

As usual, bringing and eating lunches
is welcome (though food is not provided).

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu