[Popgenlunch] Fwd: Robin Waples in PopGenLunch Friday

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:53:17 PDT 2018

Folks --

This week our speaker is:

Marshall Abrams

of the Department of Philosophy,
University of Alabama, Birmingham

He is in town to speak the next day (Saturday) at
a symposium in the Department of Philosophy
on "Philosophy of Probability"
(See: https://phil.washington.edu/news/2018/02/13/register-philosophy-probability-workshop
)

and has agreed to also talk to us,
at our usual time and place:

Friday, 27 April from 12:30pm-1:30pm
in S110 Foege Building

The title of the talk is:

Deemphasizing individuals: Population genetics and the metaphysics of
evolutionary processes

It happens, alas, that I will be out of town for
this talk. Bruce Weir has agreed to run the
session.

The schedule for the rest of the quarter is:

May 4
TBA

May 11
TBA

May 18 (S)
TBA

May 25 (S)
reserved, see below

June 1 (S)
reserved, see below

(One of the last two sessions will actually have Bruce Weir, speaking on
"Estimating the inbreeding coefficient", and the other will have Elizabeth
Thompson, speaking on a closely related topic. They will be working
out who goes first.)

Note that we have three open slots. For those sessions, volunteers are,
of course, welcome.

This quarter I will be away for about 4 of the sessions, 3 of them in Friday
Harbor, from where I will try to attend by Skype. We will try to have sessions
anyway, with others in charge. I marked the session which
I will attend by Skype by (S).

As usual, bringing and eating lunches is welcome (though food is not provided).

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu