[Popgenlunch] No PopGenLunch this week but a full schedule after that

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed May 9 15:33:09 PDT 2018

Folks --

This week we once again have no volunteer,
so there will be no session Friday.

But we do have sessions for the remaining
weeks this quarter.

As usual, PopGenLunch this quarter is on
Fridays from 12:30-1:30pm in our usual room,
S110 Foege Building.

The schedule for the rest of the quarter is:

May 11
No session

May 18 (S)
Andrew Magee (Biology)
Random fields in phylogenetics

(it is believed that this does not
mean randomly chosen areas
of phylogenetics)

and an outstanding pair of talks on
inbreeding, by two widely-acclaimed experts:

May 25 (S)
Bruce Weir (Biostatistics)
Estimating individual inbreeding coefficients

June 1 (S)
Elizabeth Thompson (Statistics)
Detecting causal regions for inbreeding depression

I will be away for these last 3 of these sessions
at Friday Harbor Laboratories, from where I will try
to attend by Skype. will try to have sessions anyway,
with others in charge. I have marked these
sessions by (S). I hope someone can bring a
laptop and connect with me.

As usual, bringing and eating lunches is welcome
(though food is not provided).

and ... an announcement of note:

This quarter ends my tenure at CEO of PopGenLunch
-- I am retiring from that august position. PopGenLunch
has met every year since about 1972, aside from one
year when I was away on sabbatical leave. So at least for
45 years. That's long enough for me.

But no need to worry -- PopGenLunch will continue!
Kelley Harris has volunteered to take over as CEO,
and I will make sure that she gets access to, and
ownership of, the mailing list, the executive suite, and
the bank account. She is of course free
to modify the meeting times, the name of the group,
and the format of the meetings.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu