[Popgenlunch] Bruce Weir in PopGenLunch this week

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Tue May 22 15:38:22 PDT 2018

Folks --

PopGenLunch will meet this week.

Bruce Weir, of the Department of Biostatistics

will speak on

Estimating individual inbreeding coefficients

As usual, the PopGenLunch session is on
Fridays from 12:30-1:30pm in our usual room,
S110 Foege Building.

Next week, in the last PopGenLunch
of the quarter, we have the second of
an outstanding pair of talks on
models of inbreeding, by two widely-acclaimed experts:

June 1
Elizabeth Thompson (Statistics)
Detecting causal regions for inbreeding depression

We are waiting, with bated breath, to see
whether Bruce's and Elizabeth's conclusions
bolster each other, or contradict each other.
Will it be a battle of the titans?

I will be away for both of these sessions
at Friday Harbor Laboratories, from where I will try
to attend by Skype. We will have sessions anyway,
with others in charge. Thanks to Elizabeth for
connecting me by Skype to last week's PopGenLunch.

As usual, bringing and eating lunches is welcome
(though food is not provided).

and ... an announcement of note:

This quarter ends my tenure as CEO of PopGenLunch,
but no need to worry -- PopGenLunch will continue!
Kelley Harris has volunteered to take over as CEO,
and I will make sure that she gets access to, and
ownership of, the mailing list, the executive suite, and
the bank account. As the new owner, she is of course free
to modify the meeting times, the name of the group,
and the format of the meetings.

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu