[Ssnet_list] FW: WI 23 Graduate Seminar in Rhetoric of Health and Medicine

Leah M Ceccarelli cecc at uw.edu
Tue Nov 15 19:06:48 PST 2022

Here is a course that might be of interest to SSNet subscribers. Please pass this along to any graduate students at UW who you think might want to enroll.

Graduate Seminar in Winter 2023, COM 597: Rhetoric of Health and Medicine (SLN 12769<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/COM597>)
How do we persuade people to make healthy choices? What counts as an illness or disease, and why? What does it mean to be healthy, anyway? Especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have an intuitive sense that matters of health are more than mere facts of biology. But how, exactly, do different social, political, and medical contexts shape our practices of and discourses about health? As an emerging field of inquiry, the rhetoric of health and medicine (RHM) approaches the study of health communication through the lens of critical theory and with the tools of rhetorical criticism. This graduate seminar will take as our starting point that language and argument are major factors shaping our conceptualization of health. From there, we'll explore how health is understood in relation to wellness, illness, and disability, and how the meaning of health has become a site of argument and controversy. We will survey emergent RHM scholarship and discuss how health intersects with power, identity, policy, and activism. In doing so, this course will equip you with an awareness of what makes a rhetorical perspective distinct from and complementary to other approaches to studying health.
COM 597, WI 23 | Tuesdays 10:30-1:20 | in-person modality
Any graduate students interested in the politics of health, health and difference, the medical humanities, and critical health studies are welcome! Please email Amanda Friz (afriz at uw.edu<mailto:afriz at uw.edu>) for more information.