[statnet_help] Evaluation our curriculum with ergms?

martina morris morrism at uw.edu
Thu Jan 16 07:00:23 PST 2020

> So what is it about? We have installed a format that we call “study partnership”. These are

> groups of students who meet once a week to discuss and debate all study-related issues. We are

> now wondering whether the study partnerships really have an influence on the exchange of

> knowledge between students. So I collected network data at two different time points to check

> whether the importance of study partnerships for knowledge exchange is increasing or decreasing.

> Is it possible to answer such a question in principle with tERGMs? If so, I would try to get my

> data into statnet using something like nodematch('studypartnerships')? The results should give

> me a tie-formation and a tie-dissolution probability which is not quite clear to me right now.

Thanks for your email. I think it would help to get a bit more clarity
on what your research question is, and for that, it would help to be
specific about

1. how you define a "link" between two students (conceptually -- what are
you trying to measure)

2. how did you operationalize this in the survey? (i.e., what are the
actual questions you asked each student)

3. did you collect data from every student in the study groups?

Then we can tell what kind of process you're trying to understand, and
whether that maps to what tERGMs can do.

best,
mm

> --

> Dipl.-Päd. Joshua Dohmen

> Universität Koblenz-Landau, Campus Koblenz, Fachbereich 1: Bildungswissenschaften, Institut für

> Pädagogik, Abteilung Pädagogik

> Arbeitsbereich: Forschung und Entwicklung in Organisationen

> Tel: 0049/261/287-1894

> R: E 224

Professor of Sociology and Statistics
Box 354322